Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How FIRST has impacted my life!

Before I got into FRC, First Robotics Competitions, I had never really been able to stay on a team sport or competition ever since I got back from living in Mexico.

I was always the shy kid.  Whenever I joined a team I felt as if I didn’t belong or fit in, for everyone seemed so different than I was; until I was lucky enough to go to one of my dad's work's barbeques in a park.   Where, surely enough, I spotted a robot amongst the crowd and it was love at first sight.   I would never have guessed that there was a team competition that had robots in it, but I quickly realized that it was not all about robots.   When I joined it was about the end of October, during the off-season, and it did not take long before I made friends. 

The season started rather slowly for me because we were designing for about 3 to 4 weeks, it was not all that fun but necessary for building the robot. Once we started building, things got interesting very quickly. I finally got to fully operate the machines at BRT, a machine shop that we build our robots at, that I had been certified on during the off-season.   Piece by piece the robot was finally built and was somewhat ready for competition because we ran out of time while debugging the robot.  The competitions where the best, so much excitement, so many other cool robots, and it got even better because I was one of the drivers for my robot.  We did not win the competition but we got many other awards. In the end I am thankful for the FRC program because it gave me the opportunity to be with people whom have similar interests and to also make many new friends.




-Nick Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment