Saturday, March 31, 2012

How FIRST has impacted my life!

I heard about the Flying Platypi last summer when I was back home in Korea. 'Robot' was not a familiar subject for me until then, so I took interest in what the team actually does to build a robot. I was also not sure of whether I should join since I have never dealth with robots, and building a robot for the entire year would wear me out. However, when I visited the team after coming back to North Carolina, I was surprised that the team builds the robot in one season and prepares for building and the competition in the off-season period. I was also amazed that the team not only builds the robot but also does outreach events, volunteers, and does other activities not involving the actual building of the robot. It gave me a strong impression of how the team members expressed their comments about the team that FIRST has played a huge role in their lives. I have never had such a strong passion for something I did in the past, so their enthusiasm made me want to join the team since I wanted to share their fervor and excitement, and experience different fields involving science and technology. So far, I really enjoy being part of the team and being involved with the team activities. The Peachtree (Georgia) competition our team went to was my first competition and I had so much fun in every single part of it: driving down, the actual competition, meeting new people and many others. Currently, being involved in this team as a FIRST student is helping me to meet new people out of school, learn different areas of STEM and grow personal enthusiasm towards the team and all the activities. I am very excited about how Team 2655 will shape my high school career, communication abilities and interest in different fields of STEM.

-SeoYoung

No comments:

Post a Comment